What does this event look like?
Safety is our number one priority! All participants must arrive at this event in a vehicle and must stay in their vehicle until a Special Olympics Minnesota staff member asks them to get out.
- No team car pooling! Individuals are only allowed to travel to this event with members from their same household or with a PCA who typically assists in travel. Group homes may travel together. Teams may decorate the exterior of their vehicles and “parade” to the event together.
- Bring your own football to use at each activity. If you don’t have a football, you can use one provided by Special Olympics Minnesota that will be disinfected after each use.
- Arrive to the facility at your designated time and check in at the drive-thru registration tent. Schedules will be sent in advance notifying each individual when they should arrive. Special Olympics Minnesota will attempt to schedule teams at the same time so you can “parade” to the event together.
- At the drive-thru registration tent, an event staff member will conduct a COVID-19 on-site screening procedure. Individuals should remain in their vehicle during the screening procedure unless asked to get out.
- An event staff member will ask the name of each individual in the vehicle.
- The staff member will ask COVID-19 screening questions of the participant who is competing as well as one person who plans to assist the participant at the station (if needed).
- A temperature check will be conducted for the participant and the one person who plans to assist the participant at the station (if needed).
- If everyone passes the COVID-19 screening, they’ll be allowed to move to the staging parking lot to participate.
- After you check in at the drive-thru registration tent, you’ll wait in the staging parking lot until you’re called to the punt, pass and kick and fitness station.
- When it’s your turn to compete, your car will be called and you’ll be guided to drive to the punt, pass and kick and fitness stations to get out and compete. You may compete in any or all of the events. You must stay in your car until you get to the station and an event staff member calls you out from your car.
- An event staff will call you out of your car to compete in the Punt, Pass and Kick and fitness events at your station. All events take place at one station.
- In addition to the participant, one additional person in the vehicle may get out to assist the athlete if needed.
- You may stretch and warm up at your station for 2 minutes.
- An event staff member will help lead you through each event. You’ll get two attempts at the punt, pass and kick, and one attempt at the 40 yard dash and plank. Event staff will be stationed more than 15 feet away.
- After you complete each event, you may take your picture next to the awards photo backdrop which will be set up at a central location on the way back to your car. Here you’ll receive your swag bag which will include a Special Olympics Minnesota award.
- After visiting the awards area, please return to your vehicle and leave the venue so we can make way for the next group of participants.
- After the drive thru competition is over, participants will be divisioned in each event they competed in, as well as an overall division for those who competed in all of the events. Results will be posted after each competition.
What events do I participate in? How do I do them?
Punt – The participant will punt the ball as far and accurately as they can within the zone. Participants will get two attempts and the best score will be counted. Punt Video Example
Pass – The participant will throw the ball as far and accurately as they can within the zone. Participants will get two attempts and the best score will be counted. Pass Video Example
Kick – The participant will kick the ball from a tee (that is provided) as far and accurately as they can within the zone. Participants will get two attempts and the best score will be counted. Kick Video Example
40 Yard Dash (Speed) – The participant will run dow 20 yards and back 20 yards as quickly as they can. Participants will get one attempt.
Plank (Strength) – The participant will hold a forearm plank as long as they can. Participants will get one attempt. Plank Video Example
The best score from each event will be added together for one final score.
Scoring for Punt, Pass and Kick
Each station will be set up 15 yards wide. Points are scored based on how far the ball lands inside the 15 yard zone. If the ball does not land within the zone then zero points are scored. Participants will get two attempts at each event and the best score will be counted.
0-10 yards = 1 point
11-20 yards = 2 points
21-30 yards = 3 points
31-40 yards = 4 points
40+ yards = 5 points
Scoring for Run
Points are scored based on how fast the participant can run down and back. Participants will get two attempt and the best score will be counted.
18+ seconds = 1 point
16-18 seconds = 2 points
14-15.99 seconds = 3 points
11-13.99 seconds = 4 points
Under 11 seconds = 5 points
Scoring for Plank
Points are scored based on how long the participant can hold a forearm plank. Participants will get one attempt.
0-15.99 seconds = 1 point
16-30.99 seconds = 2 points
31-45.99 seconds = 3 points
46-60 seconds = 4 points
60+ seconds = 5 points